Ooey Gooey Chewy Cookies...Totally Good!
By now, you must know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I actually saw pink waste receptacles as I was driving down the street the other day! Truth be told, I'm kind of a skeptic when it comes to some of these causes...who's sponsoring them? Where does the money go? So when General Mills contacted me to see if I was interested in promoting this program, I had to do a little research. First, I asked some friends who have been touched by breast cancer what their thoughts were, and then I checked out the Pink Together website. All of the friends who I asked were very supportive of the pink theme in general--they felt that it was a good support mechanism for people undergoing breast cancer treatment. As for the Pink Together program, it is actually pretty impressive. Here is the deal:
- Visit PinkTogether.com to share your personal story and messages of hope and read about others’ personal journeys. To encourage personal connections, General Mills will donate $1 to the Komen organization for each Message of Hope that is sent to someone who has shared their story on PinkTogether.com (up to $25,000) during October. This is in addition to a $2 million donation General Mills is making to the Komen organization.
- This year, for the first time in its five-year history, at PinkTogether.com consumers can choose how $1 million of this donation will be shared between two important Komen programs: the Treatment and Assistance Program, which assists women in securing care they otherwise may not be able to afford, and Prevention Research, which helps unlock the keys to preventing breast cancer. Visit PinkTogether.com from September 19, 2011 through April 14, 2012 to make your choice. Results will be announced on Mother’s Day 2012 – Sunday, May 13.
- Meet the 2011 Pink Together Survivor Ambassadors, and hear their amazing stories of courage and survival on PinkTogether.com and the Pink Together YouTube Channel.
- General Mills will also be turning the packaging of participating products pink in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October.
My story is this: My MIL was diagnosed with breast cancer over 11 years ago at the age of 78. She had a recurrence 3 years ago. Now, thanks in part to medical research funded by organizations such as this, she is an 89 year old breast cancer survivor. Her mother had breast cancer and her daughter has breast cancer. With that family history, I am afraid for my own daughter.
To give us a little incentive, General Mills has offered a prize package giveaway for one of my readers. This prize package will consist of :
- A 16 oz. box of Total cereal
- VIP coupons valid for one box of Cheerios and Multigrain Cheerios cereal and one cup of Yoplait yogurt
- Betty Crocker Living with Cancer Cookbook Pink Together Edition, which includes a collection of more than 150 delicious recipes with complete nutrition information and a 32-page Pink Together Survivor Ambassador bonus section that shares inspirational personal stories of survival as well as recipes
- Water bottle and removable silicone awareness bracelet
- Drawstring sport backpack
- Rhinestone ear buds
My MIL is enjoying the cookbook immensely. She has earmarked several of the recipes for me to make and talked it up so much that my sister-in-law ordered one for herself.
Before we get started on the giveaway specifics, I did promise a cookie. These delectable bites were made with the box of Total cereal that came in my prize box.
Health food? Probably not. A little healthier? Absolutely.
Ooey Gooey Chewy Cookies
And now for the giveaway, just leave a comment telling us how breast cancer has affected you or someone you know, or just share what your thoughts are about the Pink Together campaign ( I, for one, like how you can vote on how the money is going to be used). Be sure to leave the comment on this blog post, not on the Pink Together page. For an additional entry, go ahead and "like" the Pink Together page...or just go check it out.
Disclosure: The Pink Together prize pack, information and coupons have been provided free of charge by General Mills through MyBlogSpark.
Btw--I'm totally trying out this Rafflecopter app. as a way of keeping track. Let's see how it works....the contest will run until 12:00 AM EST on Oct. 16th. If I can't figure out the Rafflecopter, I'll use random.org.
Just leave your comments the normal way and then click on the check marks to indicate that you did the two things. :) Leave me some info, too, so I can find you if you win.