Guess what? July is Blueberry Month! But, I'm not done with rhubarb yet, so I've combined it with blueberries. You heard it right. I combined rhubarb with blueberries. One of the finest fruits that exist. Want to know how I did this? Just take a look see....
I'm a little tired of the strawberry/rhubarb combo...how about you?
Blueberries and rhubarb combine to make the best pie ever!
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pie dough for a 2 crust pie
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tablespoons sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Combine blueberries and rhubarb in a large bowl.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, cardamom, and orange peel. Fold into the blueberries and rhubarb.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts. Pour the berry/rhubarb mixture into the crust. Dot with the butter. Top with the remaining pie crust (cut a few holes in the crust to vent).
- Beat the egg yolk with 1-2 teaspoons of water. Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the yolk. Sprinkle with the sparkling sugar.
- Bake for pie for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the fruit is bubbling. Use foil or a pie shield half way through baking to avoid over-browning.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 70 mins.
Tags: pie, blueberries, rhubarb, crust
The orange zest adds a little something...
I'll confess--I used a refrigerated pie crust--just brush it with the egg yolk and add some sparkling sugar...no one will know.
You might want to wait a little longer than I did to dig in...it was a little juicy...but sooo good!
How do you use Blueberries?